NATASHA MADEL: COURSE DEVELOPER & INSTRUCTOR
Natasha has spent her life in pursuit of physical challenges and longevity.
Having been a professional ballet dancer she has dedicated many years to gaining the awareness and control of her body; principles that form the basis of Pilates. The personal insights and experience gained during a lifetime as a dancer, Pilate’s practitioner and trainer give her an excellent understanding of the workings of the body, especially as relates to movement.
She currently runs one of the most highly respected Classical Pilates studios in South Africa.
Balance and Control
To assist people in attaining the perfect balance of body, mind and spirit through the conscious control of all muscular movements of the body by practising, implementing and teaching the principals and movements ofPilates as taught by Joseph Pilates.
NATASHA MADEL: PROFESSIONAL HISTORY
Natasha Madel spends her life in pursuit of physical challenges and longevity.
At an early she started dance classes and by the age of fifteen was already dancing lead roles in the Johannesburg Youth Ballet and had travelled as far afield as London and Scotland as a member of the American San Jose Youth Ballet. In spite of these commitments, she achieved Highly Commended or Honors for all her Ceccheti examinations. A great achievement, as experienced dancers tended to shun these examinations. She also completed examinations in modern, national and Greek dancing, achieving excellent results. Elected head prefect in her final year at the Johannesburg Art Ballet Drama School, she matriculated with honors and several distinctions.
Natasha then accepted a position with PACT (Performing Arts ....), South Africa, and danced with the company for two years. She began as a member of the corps de ballet and progressed to a senior dancer in the corps in the space of a few short months. Thereafter her desire to travel could not be contained and she left South Africa for the United Kingdom.
It was in London’s Pineapple Studio, in 1990, that Natasha was first exposed to the Pilates Method. She trained with Romana Kryzanowska and in 2000, was certified as a 2nd Generation international trainer. The next few years were spent, amongst other things, as an entertainer aboard luxury liners, a personal trainer in Johannesburg and training to become one of only 50 master Gyrotonics teachers in the world who studied with Gyrotonics founder Juliu Horvath.
Natasha eventually returned to South Africa to open her own studio in Johannesburg to teach the ‘pure’ method of Pilates. She continues manage The Pilates Studio, an extremely busy and successful studio, instructing and certifying 3rd generation trainers and offering a range of post certification courses.
- 1987 Matriculated Head Girl of Johannesburg School of the Arts,5 distinctions, distinction for Anatomy
- 1988 Joined PACT Ballet
- 1990 Introduced to Pilates at Pineapple Dance Studio, London
- 1991 Danced Chandris Cruise line: South America, Miami, Mexico, Caribbean
- 1993 Personal trainer for Seawind Cruise line
- 1994 Qualified as a Fitco Personal Trainer
- 1995 Teaching Pilates in Johannesburg
- 2000 Certified as 2nd Generation International Pilates Instructor under Romana Kryzanowska, New York
- 2000 Helped set up a Pilates studio in Sydney, Australia
- 2001 Continual education with Sean Gallager
- 2001 Certified Gyrokenisis under Juliu Horvath, Germany
- 2003 Master Trainer Gyrotonic, introduced Gyrotonic to South Africa
- 2004 Certified Gyrotonic Ladder, New York
- 2005 Certified Gyrotonic, New York
- 2006 Presented: Pilates training for physiotherapists under Hitech,
- 2006 Teacher training in Hong Kong
- 2007 Basic yoga course
- 2008 Presented: Pilates on the roller course
- 2009 Presented: Rolling the body course
- 2010 Presented: Pilates for Children course,
- 2010 Continual Pilates training Singapore
- 2010 Presented: Pilates for Golfers course
PILATES FAMILY TREE
Preserve and Train
Our mission is to preserve the original work of Joseph H Pilates while actively training new teachers in Classical Pilates. We strive to:
- Maintain the integrity of the original Classical Pilates exercises
- Maintain local and international affiliation with the Classical Pilates community
- Promote quality, integrity and high professional standards amongst all Classical Pilates practitioners and teachers
- Improve awareness amongst the general population of the benefits of participating in, or practising Classical Pilates