- Don’t new start anything new.( Which raises the question of whether or not newly pregnant clients with no previous Method training should begin prenatal program. This depends on the person and the doctor )
2. Do not become overheated or exercise until you can`t catch your breath to speak. Also suggested is that you don`t let your pulse go above 140 beats per minute.
3. Avoid exercise in a supine position after the first trimester.( Supine positions may interfere with cardiac output to the foetus )
4. Upper body exercise is encouraged as it does less to divert blood flow away from the foetus than does lower body exercise.
5. Avoid extreme rotational movements of the spine as there is a (small ) chance of causing the placenta to tear away from the uterus.
6. The transverse abdominal muscles should be exercised throughout pregnancy, as they are partly responsible for helping push the baby out.
7. Avoid positions and movements that present a challenge to balance in order to prevent falls.
8. The overall intensity of exercise should be mild to moderate as pregnancy hormones relax ligaments and joints , making you more susceptible to strains and sprains.
9. Take care when changing positions from sitting to standing.
10. Modify intensity of exercises according to maternal symptoms.
The New York Pilates Method cc
Physical address All correspondence Website : www.icon.co.za/~pilates/
No 4, 16th avenue PO Box 650669 Email: email@example.com
Houghton Benmore, 2010